Saturday, October 2, 2010

Faisal Abdu'Allah and Tiny Couch Concerts

Friday: went to the opening of Faisal Abdu'Allah's The Art of Dislocation show at the Thomas Welton Gallery here on campus. Faisal was putting on a performance to show off the work he does cutting hair and collecting stories in barbershops in London as well as across the United States. It was one of the better ways to conduct a question and answer session at an opening that I've seen-- the audience remained focused on his answers because he was doing something recognizable and accessible, but not something so complex that he couldn't speak clearly to the audience. In fact, the conversational nature of hair-cutting really allowed him to speak at length on his method and work. The only incongruous thing was seeing an artist in a rather expensive looking suit cutting hair in a sandstone arcade.


It was a pretty fresh haircut. I would have gotten one, despite how awful I look with hair that short. How often do you get a gallery quality work of art of your head?


Friday was also the first of the Tiny Couch Concert series here in Kimball, performing was our own Steve Henderson. It went very well, I was surprised at the turnout. I took a few pictures, though the mic was sort of in my way and the room was too packed to move to a better angle. Also, my yell for an encore was ignored, much to my dismay. Oh well, I forgive you, Steve.





No comments:

Post a Comment